Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another Shot For Bracken compilation (1986)

Like most comps, Another Shot For Bracken is really a hit or miss affair. And boy, the misses are so spectacular they explode right of the vinyl. Like, the Scream tune, which is laughable in its wannabe rock lameness and I really could’ve done without Scram’s reggae cover of "Imagine". These are the bombs that you wish were labeled as ‘duds’ on the assembly line.

Ok, now that the negativity is out of the way, let’s focus on what’s good. The Dissonance track rules and I’m really stoked to have found their 1985 demo on the Flint Underground Music Archive. I’m linked to it now and I totally recommend the site. There are a whole bunch of demos from Flint bands over the years for download, plus some other cool things. It's definitely worth a visit.

Before Motley Crue made it acceptable for generations of shitty hair bands to cover "Anarchy in the UK", Adrenalin O.D. beat them to it and dare I say it, did a way better job than any crappy metal band could ever do. There’s also the Entirely Distorted tune, which is, as far as I know, one of only two songs they committed to vinyl. I’m still desperate to find a copy of their demo, but what can you do? Not much, but enjoy what you got, watch Being Erica and try to laugh along the way.

1. Flag of Democracy - The Family Knows
2. Scream - Green Eyed Lady
3. Short Dogs Grow - Grandstand Play
4. Dissonance - Cruise Control
5. Verbal Assault - Untitled
6. Entirely Distorted - I Could See Myself
7. The Brigade - The Last Frontier
8. Outcry - Someday
9. White Flag - Suicide King
10. 7 Seconds - When One Falls
11. 5 Balls of Power - Radio Station A.S.O.L.
12. Adrenalin O.D. - Anarchy in the U.S.A.
13. Scram - Imagine
14. Care Unit - Little Circus Man
15. Youth of Today - We Just Might
16. Action Figure - Use Your Head
17. Sins - Crazy River

Cover image from http://www.killfromtheheart.com/

Download it here: Bracken

1 comment:

luciferyellow said...

I had this record and strangely enough the only thing that I remember from it was the "Imagine" cover (and I think I liked it). So I definitely have to give this a listen again.