Thursday, February 10, 2011

Intent : Away (1991)

Continuing with my string of posts which contain early nineties punk rockage, I bring you ‘Away’ by Intent. There were two Intents from the late eighties, early nineties period. One was an excellent band from Texas who released two great records. This Intent was from Albany, New York, and they rocked pretty hard as well.

Like a lot of groups back then, Intent’s bass player was sometimes slap happy. Like I’ve said before on this blog, it makes me think that you had to play a bit like Flea to be in a punk band at that time. Even your truly, who really couldn’t play that well, at least tried to get my funk on and slap like Bootsy Collins. Note the key word there: tried. My fingers were as supple as concrete and I just never could get it right. I’d hit the wrong strings and get all twisted pretzel like trying to play fast; so instead of sounding like Flea, I’d sound as funky as a flat tire rolling down an empty street.

But it was the thought that counts and a funky thought at that.

Image is from Discogs

1. Figure It Out / Identity
2. Opener / Away

Download it now! Intent

No comments: